Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Could you generate the commit-order log by simply registering a commit
> hook (RegisterXactCallback(XACT_EVENT_COMMIT)) that writes such a log
> somewhere in the data directory? That would work with older versions
> too, no server changes required.

That would work, as it seems that the backend keeps holding on to its
locks until after calling the callbacks.

> It would not get called during recovery, but I believe that would be
> sufficient for Slony. You could always batch commits that you don't know
> when they committed as if they committed simultaneously.

Here you are mistaken. If the origin crashes but can recover not yet
flushed to xlog-commit-order transactions, then the consumer has no idea
about the order of those commits, which throws us back to the point
where we require a non cacheable global sequence to replay the
individual actions of those "now batched" transactions in an agreeable
order.

The commit order data needs to be covered by crash recovery.

Jan

Сообщение: Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Сообщение: Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages