Re: [spf:guess] Re: ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT

От Sam Vilain
Тема Re: [spf:guess] Re: ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Florian Pflug wrote:
> On May 25, 2010, at 12:18 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>>> I'm confused. The sentence in brackets "Releasing the newer savepoint will cause the older one to again become
accessibleto ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT and RELEASE SAVEPOINT" implies that you *will* walk backwards through all the
savepointsnamed "a" if you repeatedly issue "ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT a", no? If that is not how it actually works, then
thiswhole paragraph is wrong, I'd say.

>> Releasing the newer savepoint will cause the older one to again become accessible, as the doc says, but rolling back
toa savepoint does not implicitly release it. You'll have to use RELEASE SAVEPOINT for that.

> Ah, now I get it. Thanks.
>
> Would changing "Releasing the newer savepoint will cause ... " to "Explicitly releasing the newer savepoint" or maybe
even"Explicitly releasing the newer savepoint with RELEASE SAVEPOINT will cause ..." make things clearer?

Yes, probably - your misreading matches my misreading of it :-)

There is another way you can get there - releasing to a savepoint before
the re-used savepoint name will also release the savepoints after it.

ie
  savepoint foo;  savepoint bar;  savepoint foo;  release to savepoint bar;  release to savepoint foo;

After the first release, the second 'foo' savepoint is gone.  I think
this is a key advantage in saving the old savepoints.

Cheers,
Sam

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user
От: Jan Urbański
Сообщение: Re: tsvector pg_stats seems quite a bit off.