Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user
Дата
Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user  (Dan Ports <drkp@csail.mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> In some systems (data warehousing, replication), the order of
> commits is important, since that is the order in which changes
> have become visible.
This issue intersects with the serializable work I've been doing.
While in database transactions using S2PL the above is true, in
snapshot isolation and the SSI implementation of serializable
transactions, it's not. In particular, the snapshot anomalies which
can cause non-serializable behavior happen precisely because the
apparent order of execution doesn't match anything so linear as
order of commit.
I'll raise that receipting example again. You have transactions
which grab the current deposit data and insert it into receipts, as
payments are received. At some point in the afternoon, the deposit
date in a control table is changed to the next day, so that the
receipts up to that point can be deposited during banking hours with
the current date as their deposit date. A report is printed (and
likely a transfer transaction recorded to move "cash in drawer" to
"cash in checking", but I'll ignore that aspect for this example).
Some receipts may not be committed when the update to the date in
the control table is committed.
This is "eventually consistent" -- once all the receipts with the
old date commit or roll back the database is OK, but until then you
might be able to select the new date in the control table and the
set of receipts matching the old date without the database telling
you that you're missing data. The new serializable implementation
fixes this, but there are open R&D items (due to the need to discuss
the issues) on the related Wiki page related to hot standby and
other replication. Will we be able to support transactional
integrity on slave machines?
What if the update to the control table and the insert of receipts
all happen on the master, but someone decides to move the (now
happily working correctly with serializable transactions) reporting
to a slave machine? (And by the way, don't get too hung up on this
particular example, I could generate dozens more on demand -- the
point is that order of commit doesn't always correspond to apparent
order of execution; in this case the receipts *appear* to have
executed first, because they are using a value "later" updated to
something else by a different transaction, even though that other
transaction *committed* first.)
Replicating or recreating the whole predicate locking and conflict
detection on slaves is not feasible for performance reasons. (I
won't elaborate unless someone feels that's not intuitively
obvious.) The only sane way I can see to have a slave database allow
serializable behavior is to WAL-log the acquisition of a snapshot by
a serializable transaction, and the rollback or commit, on the
master, and to have the serializable snapshot build on a slave
exclude any serializable transactions for which there are still
concurrent serializable transactions. Yes, that does mean WAL-
logging the snapshot acquisition even if the transaction doesn't yet
have an xid, and WAL-logging the commit or rollback even if it never
acquires an xid.
I think this solve the issue Jan raises as long as serializable
transactions are used; if they aren't there are no guarantees of
transactional integrity no matter how you track commit sequence,
unless it can be based on S2PL-type blocking locks.  I'll have to
leave that to someone else to sort out.
-Kevin

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Stefan's bug (was: max_standby_delay considered harmful)
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user