Re: List traffic

От damien clochard
Тема Re: List traffic
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le 11/05/2010 19:24, Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> Excerpts from Marc G. Fournier's message of mar may 11 09:58:34 -0400 2010:
>
>> If list traffic, especially on -hackers, is getting so large, should we
>> look at maybe splitting it?  I could easily enough split things such that
>> I duplicate the subscriber list, so nobody would have to subscribe, but it
>> would make it easier for ppl to filter their incoming ... ?
>
> Maybe we could create a separate list where people would send patches,
> and keep patchless discussion on -hackers?
>
> Just a thought ;-)

Here's a simple description of how i use and see the -hackers list. I'm
what you could call a "silent reader", like many other subscribers i
don't participate to the discussions but i'm happy to be able to follow
them. I'm not an end-user and i'm not a developper. Just a guy that
wants to follow the "making-of" this project.

Sure the traffic is huge and sometimes i have thousands of unread
messages. But somewhat i managed to follow the threads i'm interested in
and leave asides others...

If this list is split in two smaller ones, then i guess i'll follow both
and it won't help me in any way. I guess it would even make things more
difficult to understand.

This is my modest experience. Clearly things can be improved, but
speaking for myself i don't think that splitting the list is a good idea.

--
damien clochard
http://www.dalibo.com