Re: Patch for PKST timezone

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Patch for PKST timezone
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
>>> Should we add PKST timezone? Also, I found a list of timezones[1]
>>> and we don't have 36 tznames in the list. Should we also need them?
>
>> I don't think we want to include all timezone names in the default
>> config, timezone abbreviations aren't always unique for example. But we
>> should include PKST because we already include PKT; it would be nasty
>> for an application to work during winter, and stop working when the
>> daylight saving time begins.
>
> I don't think that's actually it.  It looks to me like the Asia/Karachi
> zone definition expects the abbreviations to be PKST and PKDT.  Not sure
> whether PKT is really in use, but it is not sensible to add PKST by
> itself.

How did you come to that conclusion? Googling for "Karachi PKDT"
produces no hits that would suggest PKDT to be a valid timezone name.
This (http://www.speaking-clock.com/Asia-Pakistan-Karachi_212.html) and
this
(http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=757&year=2009)
also agree that PKT is the abbreviation for the winter time and PKST for
the summer time.