Re: Inheritance efficiency

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Inheritance efficiency
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> While I can agree that "Enterprise grade" is a buzzword, it does mean
> something: "very large amount of data" among other.

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Bitten_by_the_Enterprise_Bug.aspx

It's quite straighforward to get PostgreSQL up and running with many
terabytes of data, so long as you respect the design trade-offs in some
options.  What you can't do is say those are wrong and reject
alternative implementation suggestions just because they're not
"enterprise".  Whenever anyone uses that word at me, I mentally replace
it with "super duper", and

> There's no "fundamentally good design", but only a design which takes
> limitations and constraints into account.

You mean like taking into account the fact that partitioning performance
has an unavoidable trade-off, where you have to balance the query
optimizer overhead of supporting many partitions against the improvement
from splitting data into smaller pieces?

Сообщение: Re: Native DB replication for PG
Сообщение: Re: Native DB replication for PG