Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Piotr Kublicki wrote:
> We're thinking about installing Postgres on a virtual machine (RedHat 5
> 64-bits), however not sure how many CPUs can be wisely assigned, without
> wasting of resources.

The database will use as many cores as you have available, so long as
you have multiple simultaneous queries to keep each of them busy--no
single query will use more than one core.  In practice, on a VM install
you may discover you're limited by either I/O rate or VM overhead long
before you reach the scalability limits of the database though.