Re: solaris tarballs and pl/java

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: solaris tarballs and pl/java
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Smith wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> The tarball for 64bit 8.4.3 on Solaris Sparc is missing some
>> ./pgxs/... files I seem to need to build pl/java.  they exist in the
>> 32bit version but at least of them, Makefile.global, appears quite
>> build specific.
>
> Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious from the error you were running into in
> your last message that you'll need to do your own PostgreSQL build
> here first, then add pl/java on top of that.  Binary packages aren't
> necessarily good at giving you everything needed to build your
> extensions, and even if it did build I'd be suspicious of it until it
> passed testing.
>
> You can see more about how the OpenSolaris packages are built at
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/postgres/ ;
> Makefile.sfw in particular might have clues as to what's going wrong
> here.  There are separate code paths in several places there for 32
> vs. 64 bit builds, and you seem to have run into a divergence between
> the two.
>
> As for mailing lists, you can try
> http://lists.pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pljava-dev/ for things specific
> to building it.

having not gone down the path of building my own language extensions
before, how portable are they between postgres builds?    What I build
needs to eventually be installable on a 8.4-community 64bit install as
they want to add pl/java support to a running production database.   I
can specify they use the same JDK etc.

Last night, I started trying to piece together the environment for
./configure for postgres based on what pg_config gives me, but it
aborted pretty early with missing stuffs...  by then it was 1am and I
was fried so I am taking a fresh look this morning...   k, I'm already
farther along and moving forward... (had to add /usr/sbin to the path to
find dtrace, now I'm sorting out readline vs libedit...)... and stopped
on a 'cannot compute size(off_t)' but I'm sure I'll figure that out...