Re: initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
[re-posting as I mistakenly sent this only to the OP]

On 09/04/10 16:49, Wolfgang.Koenig wrote:
> initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable
>

> Postgres Version: 8.4.3 and 8.3.6
> Operating System: Sun Solaris 5.10 and SuseEnterprise 9
>
> When a database is initialized with the initdb-command, the default
> client_enconding, which will be stored in the DB, depends on the value
> of the environment-variable PGCLIENTENCODING at the time of running
> initdb. This behaviour is not documented.
> Furthermore I didn't find a command to change this
> default client_encoding in the database later.
> The default client_encoding does not depend on the database encoding!

I cannot reproduce this issue based on the test script you've provided.
  However, I was testing on Ubuntu 9.10, not a vanilla 8.4, so this
can't be taken as definitive.

$ env | grep PG
$ PGPORT=7654 psql -U postgres postgres -c 'show client_encoding;'
  client_encoding
-----------------
  UTF8
(1 row)

$ PGPORT=7654 psql -U postgres postgres
(snip blah blah)
postgres=# show port ;
  port
------
  7654
(1 row)
postgres=# \l
                                   List of databases
    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |   Access
privileges
-----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 |
  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
                                                              :
postgres=CTc/postgres
  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
                                                              :
postgres=CTc/postgres
(3 rows)

$ PGCLIENTENCODING="WIN1250" PGPORT=7654 psql -U postgres postgres -c
'show client_encoding;'
  client_encoding
  WIN1250
(1 row)