Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:
> * Change the linux 'readahead' block device parameter to at least 4MB (8192, see blockdev --setra) -- I don't know if
thereis a FreeBSD equivalent.

I haven't tested them, but 3ware gives suggestions at
http://www.3ware.com/kb/Article.aspx?id=14852 for tuning their cards
properly under FreeBSD.  You cannot get good sequential read performance
from 3ware's cards without doing something about this at the OS level;
the read-ahead on the card itself is minimal and certainly a bottleneck.

As for your comments about drives being faster at the front than the
end, the zcav tool that comes with bonnie++ is a good way to plot that
out, rather than having to split partitions up and do a bunch of manual
testing.

От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load
От: Krzysztof Kardas
Сообщение: PostgreSQL with Zabbix - problem of newbe