Re: "1-Click" installer problems

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> If EDB was failing for a long time, we would hear a lot more about it.
> They host the most downloaded installer .Org has.

True. And sorry for grumping.

I've had the misfortune to maintain a win32 installer (in my own time)
before, so this is a bit of a hot button. Sure, it works on every system
I have access to without issues, but because your FarkWare 4000 Super
Privacy Nuker ZX software breaks everything that tries to set file
system permissions, the installer's clearly defective. Argh.

I still shouldn't let it get to me. My apologies to Nikhil.

In any case, while I the EDB installer works extremely well for the
clear majority, like anything it could use improvement, and detailed
constructive feedback on what exactly needs improvement can only be a
good thing. It's the *detailed* bit that needs work right now, though...

( For example, people _do_ get confused by its handling of the postgres
service account, especially during reinstall, and it'd be interesting to
see if there were other approaches taken by other software that avoided
needing to involve the user in working with the postgres service account
password directly. )

--
Craig Ringer