Re: Parallel pg_dump for 9.1

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: Parallel pg_dump for 9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tis, 2010-03-30 at 08:39 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> on fast systems pg_dump is completely CPU bottlenecked
>
> Might be useful to profile why that is.  I don't think pg_dump has
> historically been developed with CPU efficiency in mind.

It's not pg_dump that is the problem - it is COPY that is the limit. In
my specific case als the fact that a lot of the columns are bytea adds
to the horrible CPU overhead (fixed in 9.0). Still our bulk load &
unload performance is still way slower on a per core comparision than a
lot of other databases :(

Stefan