Re: Proposal: access control jails (and introduction as aspiring GSoC student)

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Proposal: access control jails (and introduction as aspiring GSoC student)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joseph Adams wrote:
> Hello, I'm Joey Adams, and I'm interested in applying for Google
> Summer of Code to work on PostgreSQL.  I'm a former GSoC student (I
> worked on CCAN last year), and a strong C programmer, though I am
> still new to working with large, established communities.  I apologize
> if this is the wrong place to send GSoC student introductions.

Hi Joey, you're in the right place!

> * Views only apply to SELECTs

Views can be made updateable by defining suitable rules for them, that
is usually the way people solve this problem. See chapters
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/rules-views.html and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/rules-update.html in the
user manual.

You should also take a look at Veil
(http://veil.projects.postgresql.org/), which uses views to implement
something that sounds much like what you're proposing.

You should also be aware of an issue with this approach:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4AE02DF0.40101@enterprisedb.com.
Some ideas on plugging that hole were discussed, but unfortunately there
was no clear consensus and no progress since.