Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

От: Arjen van der Meijden
Тема: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Corin, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Kenneth Marshall, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Thom Brown, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Stephen Frost, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Magnus Hagander, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Arjen van der Meijden, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Ivan Voras, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Dimitri Fontaine, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  ("Pierre C", )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Merlin Moncure, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Merlin Moncure, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  ("Ross J. Reedstrom", )
   Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
    Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Greg Smith, )
     Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Dave Crooke, )
      Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
       Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
       Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Dave Crooke, )
     Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Yeb Havinga, )
      Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Yeb Havinga, )
      Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Greg Smith, )
      Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Hannu Krosing, )
       Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (James Mansion, )
        Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
        Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  ("Pierre C", )
         Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
          Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Yeb Havinga, )
        Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Bruce Momjian, )
         Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Thom Brown, )
          Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Scott Marlowe, )
    Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  ("Ross J. Reedstrom", )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Dave Crooke, )
  Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Merlin Moncure, )
   Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  ("Pierre C", )
    Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Dave Crooke, )
 Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Chris Browne, )

On 18-3-2010 16:50 Scott Marlowe wrote:
> It's different because it only takes pgsql 5 milliseconds to run the
> query, and 40 seconds to transfer the data across to your applicaiton,
> which THEN promptly throws it away.  If you run it as
>
> MySQL's client lib doesn't transfer over the whole thing.  This is
> more about how each db interface is implemented in those languages.

Its the default behavior of both PostgreSQL and MySQL to transfer the
whole resultset over to the client. Or is that different for Ruby's
MySQL-driver? At least in PHP the behavior is similar for both.
And I certainly do hope its 40ms rather than 40s, otherwise it would be
a really bad performing network in either case (15s for mysql) or very
large records (which I doubt).

I'm wondering if a new connection is made between each query. PostgreSQL
is (afaik still is but I haven't compared that recently) a bit slower on
that department than MySQL.

Best regards,

Arjen