Re: kernel version impact on PostgreSQL performance

От Cyril Scetbon
Тема Re: kernel version impact on PostgreSQL performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-What-s-coming-in-2-6-30-File-systems-New-and-revamped-file-systems-741319.html

> for a summary on how that drama played out.  I let out a howling laugh
> when reading this was because "The rest have been put on hold, with
> the development cycle already entering the stabilisation phase."
> Linux kernel development hasn't had a stabilization phase in years.
>
> It's interesting that we have pgbench available as a lens to watch all
> this through, because in its TPC-B-like default mode it has an
> interesting property:  if performance on regular hardware gets too
> fast, it means data integrity must be broken, because regular drives
> can't do physical commits very often.  What Phoronix should be doing
> is testing simple fsync rate using something like sysbench first[1],
> and if those numbers come back higher than disk RPM rate declare the
> combination unusable for PostgreSQL purposes rather than reporting on
> the fake numbers.
>
> [1]
> http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pg-benchmarking.pdf
> , page 26

Thank you Greg, that was exactly the answer I was waiting for. Everyone
should take care about the changes made when such surprising numbers are
provided !

Regards

--
Cyril SCETBON

От: Sachin Srivastava
Сообщение: Re: Small install (w/ pSQLODBC support) needed.
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: Naming conventions for lots of stored procedures