Re: Visual Studio 2005, C-language function - avoiding hacks?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Visual Studio 2005, C-language function - avoiding hacks?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Craig Ringer
> <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>> Kevin Flanagan wrote:
>>
>>> the compiler
>>> complained about various missing include files, starting with
>>> ‘libintl.h’. Having read the post at
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-03/msg00332.php I
>>> created an empty libint.h in an include dir
>> NFI why Pg for win32 doesn't bundle a copy of the libintl it was built
>> against. I should poke the EDB guys about it, actually.
>
> We do include the library. We don't include the headers or source for
> third party code though - that would be considered part of the build
> environment, just the same as the Windows SDK.

The installer includes the headers for PostgreSQL its self (ie a
"postgresql sdk"). For them to be useful for much you need libintl too.
As on windows there's no "system" libintl, the user has to try to figure
out what libintl Pg was built against and somehow obtain appropriate
headers, including any config headers. There are many different win32
builds of libintl out there and many (most) of them won't match what Pg
was built against.

That seems unnecessarily painful. It seems pretty harmless to ship the
gettext headers, as a separate download if not in the main installer
package.

How do _you_ go about building server extensions for Pg? Where do you
get the headers for gettext etc?

IMO if the gettext headers aren't in the main installer pkg then the Pg
headers shouldn't be either, and a separate "sdk" installer should be
provided with them both. Ditto any other headers required.

I'm increasingly thinking the win32 package _should_ be split into
server binary and separate headers+pdb+sources packages, with the sdk
package including gettext headers and sources too. It'd be a LOT easier
to develop with Pg on win32 this way.

--
Craig Ringer

Сообщение: Re: Visual Studio 2005, C-language function - avoiding hacks?
Сообщение: Re: Visual Studio 2005, C-language function - avoiding hacks?