Re: renameatt() can rename attribute of index, sequence, ...

От KaiGai Kohei
Тема Re: renameatt() can rename attribute of index, sequence, ...
Дата
Re: renameatt() can rename attribute of index, sequence, ...  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
(2010/03/03 14:26), Robert Haas wrote:
> 2010/3/2 KaiGai Kohei<kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>:
>> Is it an expected behavior?
>>
>>   postgres=>  CREATE SEQUENCE s;
>>   CREATE SEQUENCE
>>   postgres=>  ALTER TABLE s RENAME sequence_name TO abcd;
>>   ALTER TABLE
>>
>>   postgres=>  CREATE TABLE t (a int primary key, b text);
>>   NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "t_pkey" for table "t"
>>   CREATE TABLE
>>   postgres=>  ALTER TABLE t_pkey RENAME a TO xyz;
>>   ALTER TABLE
>>
>> The documentation says:
>>   http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-altertable.html
>>
>>     :
>>   RENAME
>>     The RENAME forms change the name of a table (or an index, sequence, or view) or
>>     the name of an individual column in a table. There is no effect on the stored data.
>>
>> It seems to me the renameatt() should check relkind of the specified relation, and
>> raise an error if relkind != RELKIND_RELATION.
>
> Are we talking about renameatt() or RenameRelation()?  Letting
> RenameRelation() rename whatever seems fairly harmless; renameatt(),
> on the other hand, should probably refuse to allow this:
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE foo;
> ALTER TABLE foo RENAME COLUMN is_cycled TO bob;
>
> ...because that's just weird.  Tables, indexes, and views make sense,
> but the attributes of a sequence should be nailed down I think;
> they're basically system properties.

I'm talking about renameatt(), not RenameRelation().

If our perspective is these are a type of system properties, we should
be able to reference these attributes with same name, so it is not harmless
to allow renaming these attributes.

I also agree that it makes sense to allow renaming attributes of tables
and views. But I don't know whether it makes sense to allow it on indexs,
like sequence and toast relations.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Instead of trying (and failing) to allow <
Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Instead of trying (and failing) to allow <