Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Time to do the ESD shuffle I think.

Nah, I keep the crazy drive around as an interesting test case.  Fun to
see what happens when I connect to a RAID card; very informative about
how thorough the card's investigation of the drive is.

> Our 15k5
> seagates have been great, with 2 failures in 32 drives in 1.5 years of
> very heavy use.  All our seagate SATAs, whether 500G or 2TB have been
> the problem children.  I've pretty much given up on Seagate SATA
> drives.  The new seagates we got are the consumer 7200.11 drives, but
> at least they have the latest firmware and all.

Well, what I was pointing out was that all the 15K drives used to come
out of this plant in Singapore, which is also where their good consumer
drives used to come from too during the 2003-2007ish period where all
their products were excellent.  Then they moved the consumer production
to this new location in Thailand, and all of the drives from there have
been total junk.  And as of August they closed the original plant, which
had still been making the enterprise drives, altogether.  So now you can
expect the 15K drives to come from the same known source of garbage
drives as everything else they've made recently, rather than the old,
reliable plant.

I recall the Singapore plant sucked for a while when it got started in
the mid 90's too, so maybe this Thailand one will eventually get their
issues sorted out.  It seems like you can't just move a hard drive plant
somewhere and have the new one work without a couple of years of
practice first, I keep seeing this pattern repeat.

Сообщение: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Сообщение: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics