Re: SSD + RAID

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: SSD + RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ron Mayer wrote:
> I know less about other file systems.  Apparently the NTFS guys
> are aware of such stuff - but don't know what kinds of fsync equivalent
> you'd need to make it happen.

It's actually pretty straightforward--better than ext3.  Windows with
NTFS has been perfectly aware how to do write-through on drives that
support it when you execute _commit for some time:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/17618685(VS.80).aspx

If you switch the postgresql.conf setting to fsync_writethrough on
Windows, it will execute _commit where it would execute fsync on other
platforms, and that pushes through the drive's caches as it should
(unlike fsync in many cases).  More about this at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-08/msg00227.php and
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/TuningPGWAL.htm (which
also covers OS X).