Re: Streaming replication, retrying from archive

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Streaming replication, retrying from archive
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
>> Yeah, a lot of that logic and states is completely unnecessary until we
>> have a synchronous mode. Even then, it seems complex.
>>

> I hope we'll find something less complex, what I proposed is heavily
> inspired from londiste (Skytools) table addition to a replication set
> (parallel COPY), which works fine.
>

>> Here's what I've been hacking:
>>
> [...]
>
>> So there's just two states:
>>
>> 1. Recovering from archive
>> 2. Streaming
>>
>> We start from 1, and switch state at error.
>>

> Oh yes that's even more simple!
>

>> This gives nice behavior from a user point of view. Standby tries to
>> make progress using either the archive or streaming, whichever becomes
>> available first.
>>

> So tools like pitrtools or walmgr.py will certainly continue being
> necessary to use in 9.0, right?

Right now Streaming Replication does not do your backup for you, which
some of the tools (e.g walmgr.py) do... Thinking about walmgr.py for a
moment - it should be pretty easy (or possible anyway) to make it use
streaming replication for server versions >= 9.0.

Cheers

Mark

От: Dimitri Fontaine
Сообщение: Re: Streaming replication, retrying from archive
От: "Eric B. Ridge"
Сообщение: Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL