Re: PITR backup history files with identical 2nd part file names

От Rafael Martinez
Тема Re: PITR backup history files with identical 2nd part file names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Rafael Martinez <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> writes:

>> All PITR backup history files created when running a PITR base backup on
>> all PostgreSQL clusters running in this new server (at different hours
>> during the night) got an identical 2nd part file name.
>
>> <24 digits>.00000020.backup e.g.000000020000020800000060.00000020.backup
>
> I think this is normal behavior now, if you have an unloaded server.
> pg_start_backup now forces a segment switch, so if nothing much else is
> happening it's quite likely that the recorded start point will be the
> beginning of the WAL segment (plus the page header size).

The strange thing is that a lot is happening. These clusters generate
several hundred WAL files a day.

How is possible to get the same value *everytime* we run a base backup
with many WAL files generated between runs and on different clusters?

I trust what you say on the subject :-) .... is only that in all the
years we have been using PITR, we have never seen identical values in
the 2nd part of the backup history file name (not one)

-- Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>Center for Information Technology ServicesUniversity of Oslo, Norway
PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/