Re: Streaming replication, loose ends

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Streaming replication, loose ends
Дата
Re: Streaming replication, loose ends  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I've now committed streaming replication. I moved the files around a
>> bit, and put the walreceiver/walsender stuff in a new
>> src/backend/replication subdirectory. There's enough stuff there already
>> to deserve a new subdirectory, and if we add the capability for
>> streaming base backups etc. that has been discussed, we will have more
>> code in there.
>>
>> But it's not time to party yet. There's still a few loose ends we need
>> to address:
>>
>> Documentation. The patch originally moved around some sections, but I
>> didn't include that in the committed version, to make it clear in the
>> diff what exactly was added/changed. But I do agree with the original
>> thought of adding a new "Replication" chapter, and moving all the
>> replication and standby related stuff there from the "Backup and
>> Restore" chapter, so let's start working on that.
>
> Uh, do we really want to call this "replication" rather than archive log
> streaming or something.  It seems "replication" is a generic term and
> will confuse people who are using other replication solutions like
> Slony.

Good question. OTOH, if we move the sections about setting up a
file-shipping based standby with pg_standby, that's not streaming.

What we have now is:

Server Administration ... Backup and Restore   SQL Dump   File System Level Backup   Continuous Archiving and
Point-In-TimeRecovery (PITR)   Warm Standby Servers for High Availability     Planning     Implementation     Failover
  Record-based Log Shipping     Streaming Replication     Incrementally Updated Backups   Hot Standby     User's
Overview    Handling query conflicts     Administrator's Overview     Hot Standby Parameter Reference     Caveats High
Availability,Load Balancing, and Replication

I propose:

Server Administration Backup and Restore   SQL Dump   File System Level Backup   Continuous Archiving and Point-In-Time
Recovery(PITR) High Availability, Load Balancing, and Replication   Introduction     Comparison of different solutions
(*)  File-based Log Shipping     Planning     Implementation   Streaming Replication     Setting up   Failover   Hot
Standby    User's Overview     Handling query conflicts     Administrator's Overview     Hot Standby Parameter
Reference    Caveats   Incrementally Updated Backups

(*) Current content of "High Availability, Load Balancing, and
Replication" chapter goes here

Note that I propose to remove "Record-based Log Shipping" section
altogether. We can briefly mention that method under Streaming
Replication, but I consider that obsolete with streaming replication.