Re: Compressing the AFTER TRIGGER queue

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Compressing the AFTER TRIGGER queue
Дата
Re: Compressing the AFTER TRIGGER queue  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>  The best compression and flexibility in
>>> that case is to store a bitmap since that will average out at about 1
>>> bit per row, with variable length bitmaps. Which is about 8 times
>>> better compression ratio than originally suggested, without any loss
>>> of metadata.
>>
>> Yeah that's probably possible in specific cases, but I'm still not
>> sure how to make it meet the full requirements of the after trigger
>> queue.
>
> I think you'd better explain what use case you are trying to optimise
> for. It seems unlikely that you will come up with a compression scheme
> that will fit all cases.
>
> The only cases that seem a problem to me are
> * bulk RI checks
> * large writes on tables using trigger based replication
> maybe you have others?

Not sure how much this relates to this discussion, but I have often wished we had AFTER FOR EACH STATEMENT triggers
thatprovided OLD and NEW recordsets you could make use of. Sometimes it's very valuably to be able to look at *all* the
rowsthat changed in a transaction in one shot.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net