Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> The only reason we ever offer different functionality on different
> platforms is when there are external reasons forcing us to - for
> example, lack of reparse points in NTFS on Windows NT 4.0 prevented us
> offering table space support, and for some time we had no Win32 port
> of libuuid, so couldn't offer the UUID contrib module. There are no
> such problems with this project that I can see - at least that cannot
> be overcome with a little thought and appropriate tool selection.

Dave,

Windows came late to the buildfarm. According to the CVS log, the
buildfarm client was first checked in in Sept 2004, got initial Mingw
support in Jan 2005 and MSVC support in March 2007, when we finally got
some of the tools sorted out.

I have long spoken against making Windows a second class citizen. But I
don't think David is going to do that (and I'll hound him if he does).
But that doesn't mean it has to be fully supported from day one.

Personally, I'd like to see us with a build service for such modules
(c.f. OpenSuse's build service).

cheers

andrew