Re: SATA drives performance

От Richard Neill
Тема Re: SATA drives performance
Дата
Re: SATA drives performance  (Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen@etf.bg.ac.yu>)
Список pgsql-performance
A couple of thoughts occur to me:

1. For reads, RAID 1 should also be good: it will allow a read to occur
from whichever disk can provide the data fastest.

2. Also, for reads, the more RAM you have, the better (for caching). I'd
suspect that another 8GB of RAM is a better expenditure than a 2nd drive
in many cases.

3. RAID 0 is twice as unreliable as no raid. I'd recommend using RAID 1
intead. If you use the Linux software mdraid, remote admin is easy.

4. If you can tolerate the risk of the most recent transactions being
lost, look at asynchronous commit. Likewise, you *might* consider
operating with a write cache enabled. Otherwise, the time for
fdatasync() is what's critical.

5. For a 2-disk setup, I think that main DB on one, with WAL on the
other will beat having everything on a single RAID0.

6. The WAL is relatively small: you might consider a (cheap) solid-state
disk for it.

7. If you have 3 equal disks, try doing some experiments. My inclination
would be to set them all up with ext4, then have the first disk set up
as a split between OS and WAL; the 2nd disk set up for
/var/lib/postgresql,  and the 3rd disk as a backup for everything (and a
spare OS with SSH access).

8. Lastly, if you need remote administration, and can justify another
£100 or so, the HP "iLO" (integrated lights out) cards are rather
useful: these effectively give you VNC without OS support, even for the
BIOS.

Best wishes,

Richard