Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full

От Andrew Chernow
Тема Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Chernow <ac@esilo.com> writes:
>> I mentioned this up thread.  I completely agree that overflow behavior should be
>> tunable.
>
> There is only one correct overflow behavior.

I count three.

1. wait
2. error
3. skip

#1 and #2 are very similar to a file system.  If FS buffers are full on write,
it makes you wait.  In non-blocking mode, it throws an EAGAIN error.  IMHO those
two behaviors are totally acceptable for handling notify overflow.  #3 is pretty
weak but I *think* there are uses for it.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC