Re: "money" binary representation

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: "money" binary representation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Konstantin Izmailov wrote:
> I'm trying to read "money" field using PQgetvalue (PostgreSQL 8.3.7).
> The function returns 9 bytes, smth like 0h 0h 0h 0h 0h 0h 14h 0h 0h,
> for the value '$50.2'. I could not find description anywhere on how to
> convert the binary data into, for example, a double precision number.
>
> Would you please help me find a method of converting binary "money"
> data into a double precision?

Its my understanding that MONEY is deprecated  that you really should
store money values as NUMERIC instead.

 a wild guess says thats some variant on NUMERIC, which is stored in
base 10000 as a series of 16 bit integers, with a fuixed point fraction.

why would you convert money to floating point?  $0.10 in binary floating
point is a repeating fraction which can't be represented exactly

btw, are you sure your value isn't $51.20 ?   0x1400 is 5120 decimal.