Re: half OOT, plv8js group created ^^

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: half OOT, plv8js group created ^^
Дата
Re: half OOT, plv8js group created ^^  (Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> Kiswono Prayogo wrote:
>>
>>> plv8js is a procedural language add-on for PostgreSQL, which means you
>>> can define Javascript functions that run inside a PostgreSQL server
>>> using google V8 Engine.
>>>
>>> anyone who want to contribute in plv8js please visit this group ^^
>>> http://code.google.com/p/plv8js/
>>> i'm still new in postgresql and v8, need MASSIVELY LOT of study and
>>> help ^^, thank you..
>>>
>> Well, I see you are apparently ignoring the advice we already gave you that
>> V8 is not likely to be the best fit for a PostgreSQL JS procedural language,
>> so that's not a good start.
>>

> that's a little harsh...he was mostly given some vague advice
> ("spidermonkey might be better...").  Maybe it isn't the best, but
> that doesn't mean it's not worth trying!

Very well, if I was harsh I apologise, but maybe you should look at the
embedding guide here <http://code.google.com/apis/v8/embed.html> and
decide how well it is likely to work for PostgreSQL in pure C. The
advice was not just "spidermonkey might be better". It was that a C++
oriented API like this (throwing exceptions among other things) was not
likely to work, or at least to work as well as a pure C API.

And, frankly, pure PL speed in a language like JS, that is likely to be
used mainly as glue, is not likely to be a concern for most uses.

If someone is going to work on a JS engine for PostgreSQL (which I think
is a good idea, actually) I want them to work on one that is likely to
succeed.

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: half OOT, plv8js group created ^^
Сообщение: Re: half OOT, plv8js group created ^^