Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!

От Karl Denninger
Тема Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Fernando Hevia wrote:
User Access
Total Number of Users is 500
Maximum number of Concurrent users will be 500 during peak time
Off Peak time the maximum number of concurrent user will be
around 150 to 200.

A connection pooler like pgpool or pgbouncer would considerably reduce the
burden on your system.

I am already using connection pooling in tomcat web server, so installing
pgpool
will help enhancing the performance ?Any changes i have to do in my
application to
include pgpool?

There shouldn't be need for another pooling solution.
Anyway, you probably dont want 1800 concurrent connections on your database
server, nor even get near that number.

Check the number of actual connections with:  select count(*) from pg_stat_activity;

A vmstat run during high loads could provide a hindsight to if the number of
connections is straining your server.

If the number of connections is high (say over 200-300), try reducing the
pool size in Tomcat and see what happens.
You possibly could do fine with something between 50 and 100 connections.

I can second this - I have an EXTREMELY busy forum system using pgpool and during peak hours it runs very well within around 100 connections in use.

-- Karl
Вложения

Сообщение: Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!
Сообщение: Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!