Re: How to store data on an external drive

От Jia Chen
Тема Re: How to store data on an external drive
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Martin,

Thanks for reply.  However, your answer confuses me.

>your tables are probably not using the new default tablespace
>SET default_tablespace = new_tablespace_name
>any new tables will be placed into new default tablespace by inserting TABLESPACE clause

This is what I did:

I created tablespace on my home machine by using  CREATE TABLESPACE
psqldata LOCATION '/media/disk/psqldata'; The mounted folder
'/media/disk/psqldata' is on my external drive. Yes, it works fine on my
home machine when I use SET default_tablespace = psqldata.

The problem came when I went to work on my office machine with the same
external drive. I tried to create a tablespace by using the same clause,
CREATE TABLESPACE psqldata LOCATION '/media/disk/psqldata'; But, I got
an error message saying that I can create this table space because the
folder is not empty.  The PostgreSQL manual dose say "The location must
be an existing, empty directory" as in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html.
There is already stuff in that folder after I created the tablespace on
my home machine.

So, I did not even create a tablespace for that folder on my office
machine yet. I don't see how set SET default_tablespace =
new_tablespace_name can solve this problem.  Maybe, there was a
misunderstanding between us in your last e-mail.

 > Can you put the WHOLE database on the external drive?

This is my question to you guys.

I have not succeeded putting whole database on my external drive yet
with PostgreSQL. Yet, it seems to be easy to do the same with MySQL by
editing my.cnf file.  Thanks.

Best,
Jia

Martin Gainty wrote:
> your tables are probably not using the new default tablespace
>
> SET default_tablespace = new_tablespace_name
> any new tables will be placed into new default tablespace by inserting TABLESPACE clause
>
> can you put the WHOLE database on the external drive?
> Martin Gainty

> Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede
> unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig.
> Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und
> entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten
> Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den
> Inhalt uebernehmen.
> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec
bontéque pour satisfaire informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est
interdite.Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant
donnéque les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter aucune responsabilité
pourle contenu fourni.