Re: Odd sort behaviour

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Odd sort behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
OK, I'm waking up now.  My locale is as Scott suspected, en-US.UTF-8,
and of
course my server too.

I guess I never really left "C" intellectually :) and we have a server that
thinks SQL-ASCII is cool and comparing lists of names and emails between
that server
and my local utf-8 one was rather perplexing.

I'm sure this a life-time's worth of discussion on the merits of
treating "."
as nothing when sorting....

Sorry for the noise.

Greg Stark wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Rob Sargent<robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How many ways might one accidentally do that I wonder.
>>

> Well most operating system distributions ask you when you install them
> what region you're in and use a collation for that region.
>
> In 8.4 you can check what collation a database is set to use with \l
> in psql. In 8.3 the entire "cluster" has a single collation which you
> can see using "show lc_collate".
>
> You can see how your system's collations work by running sort:
>
> $ LC_ALL=c sort s
> a.ecke70@gmx.de
> a.fischedick@t-online.de
> adrianohazim@hotmail.com