Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré <jm@poure.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Jean-Michel Pouré<jm@poure.com> wrote:

> [no postgresql.conf changes except]
> shared_buffer 24M.

That's part of your problem.  (Well, that's understating it; we don't
have any real evidence that you have any performance problems *not*
resulting from failure to do normal configuration.)  If you download
the configurator tool I referenced in another email you can get a
start on fixing this.  Or search the lists -- this stuff had been
discussed many, many times.  Or do a google search; I typed

postgresql performance configuration

and got many hits.  If you spend even one hour closely reviewing any
of the top few hits and testing a more optimal configuration for your
hardware and workload, most of your performance problems would
probably go away.

Then, if you *still* have any performance problems, people could help
you diagnose and fine-tune from a base which should be much closer.

The truth is, with a proper configuration your "biggest problem",
which you've misdiagnosed as the result of casting, would probably go
away.  I will take another look at it now that you have the results of
EXPLAIN ANALYZE posted, but I seriously doubt that it's going to do
well without tuning the configuration.

-Kevin