Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
benchmarks I've seen suggest that with 8 cores you may even see an
almost 8x restore speedup

I'm curious what sort of data in what environment showed that ratio.
Was going on memory from a presentation I watched. Reports on the web have shown anything from a 3x increase using 8 cores to other non-detailed reports of "up to" 8x improvement. If you have one big table, don't expect much if any improvement. If you have lots of smaller tables/indexes then parallel restore will probably benefit you. This is all based on the not-atypical assumption that your restore will be CPU bound. I don't think parallel restore will be much use beyond the point you hit IO limits.

Cheers,
Steve

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions