Re: cluster index on a table

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: cluster index on a table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com> wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I think MSSQL only keeps the data specified in
> the index in the index, and the remaining columns in the data.

Unless it has changed recently, an MS SQL Server clustered index is
the same as the Sybase implementation: all data for the tuple is
stored in the leaf page of the clustered index.  There is no separate
heap.  The indid in sysindexes is part of the clue -- a table has
either one 0 entry for the heap (if there is no clustered index) or
one 1 entry for the clustered index.  "Normal" indexes have indid of 2
through 254, and indid 255 is reserved for out-of-line storage of text
and image data.

-Kevin