Re: stable snapshots...

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: stable snapshots...
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>>> versions?
>
>> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>
> Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
>     * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
>     * pull from CVS;
>     * use a nightly snapshot.
> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
> I would wish :-().

actually nagios just noticed that we managed to break our own -HEAD
snapshot generation with this change as well...
I have now fixed that script(and installed a more modern flex on
developer.postgresql.org) as well but I think we have some more work to
do in order to improve the robustness of those scripts...

Stefan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: