Re: WIP: Deferrable unique constraints

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: WIP: Deferrable unique constraints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 19:38 +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>> This approach works well if the number of potential conflicts is
>> small.
>
> [...]
>
>> Curing the scalability problem by spooling the queue to disk shouldn't
>> be too hard to do, but that doesn't address the problem that if a
>> significant proportion of rows from the table need to be checked, it
>> is far quicker to scan the whole index once than check row by row.
>
> Another approach that might be worth considering is to build a temporary
> index and try to merge them at constraint-checking time. That might work
> well for unique.

I'm not really sure what you mean by a "temporary index". Do you mean
one that you would just throw away at the end of the statement? That
seems a bit heavy-weight.

Also it seems too specific to unique constraints. I think it would be
better to cure the scalability issues for all constraints and triggers
in one place, in the after triggers queue code.

I had hoped that after doing deferrable unique constraints, I might
apply a similar approach to other constraints, eg. a deferrable check
constraint. In that case, an index doesn't help, and there is no choice
but to check the rows one at a time.

Unique (and also FK) are special, in that they have potentially more
optimal ways of checking them in bulk. ISTM that this is an orthogonal
concept to the issue of making the trigger queue scalable, except that
there ought to be an efficient way of discarding all the queued entries
for a particular constraint, if we decide to check it en masse (perhaps
a separate queue per constraint, or per trigger).
- Dean