Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer

От Mark Mielke
Тема Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 07/06/2009 06:23 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Craig Ringer (craig@postnewspapers.com.au) wrote:
What that does mean, though, is that if you don't have significantly
more RAM than a 32-bit machine can address (say, 6 to 8 GB), you should
stick with 32-bit binaries.
I'm not sure this is always true since on the amd64/em64t platforms
you'll get more registers and whatnot in 64-bit mode which can offset
the pointer size increases.

Which leads to other things like faster calling conventions...

Even if you only have 4 GB of RAM, the 32-bit kernel needs to fight with "low memory" vs "high memory", whereas 64-bit has a clean address space.

All things being equal, I recommend 64-bit.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark@mielke.cc>