Re: random slow query

От Mike Ivanov
Тема Re: random slow query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Close, but it'll use that memory for cache. Large buffers are not
> typical in linux, large kernel caches are.

OK, we're talking about different things. You're right.

> If that tutorial says that, then that tutorial is wrong.  I'm guessing
> what that tutorial is talking about, and what top is saying are two
> very different things though.

Then it is an amazingly common misconception. I guess it first appeared
in some book and then reproduced by zillion blogs. Essentially this is
what Goolgle brings you on 'swap cache' query.

Thanks for clearing that out.

>>>  It's normal, and shouldn't worry anybody.  In fact it's a good sign
>>> that you're not using way too much memory for any one process
>> It says exactly the opposite.

This time I agree :-)

Cheers,
Mike