Re: Extensions User Design

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Extensions User Design
Дата
Re: Extensions User Design  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Dimitri Fontaine<dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>> PGXS is essentially useless on Windows unless you're compiling your
>>> own code using Mingw/msys, which will be a miniscule percentage of
>>> users. Our installers for 8.3 and above are all built using VC++.
>> I guess we'll have to see how the windows world installers are
>> comparable / compatible with PGXS here, I confess I know nothing about
>> them...
>>
>> Is it possible to design this part of the extension system with only
>> PGXS in mind and later adapt the windows toolsuite?
>
> Anything is possible :-). Better to ask someone with more perl
> expertise than me how much effort it might take to have the VC++ build
> system be able to create a project from an arbitrary PGXS makefile.
> Andrew or Magnus would seem the obvious people.

We do it for Makefiles in contrib, so in theory it should be doable.

The problem is, I think, that the Makefile format is way too flexible.
You can write anything as shell commands in there, and there is no way
we can ever parse that and make it work in the msvc build system. I
haven't read the pgxs docs in a while so I don't know if it makes
restrictions on this, but AFAIK there are no technical reasons
preventing people from doing this.

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/