Re: Extensions User Design

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Extensions User Design
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>> Actually, I think we should be like Perl here. There is a list of
>> standard modules that comes with the base Perl distro, and then there
>> are addons, such as you find on CPAN. File::Find is an example of a
>> standard module, DBD::Pg is an example of an addon.
>
> Actually, chromatic, Allison, etc. regard the Standard Modules as a
> mistake and are talking about moving away from having any for Perl 6.
>
> On the other hand, their main reason for doing this (the issues with
> maintaining the included version and the CPAN version separately)
> wouldn't apply to us.

I agree they have too many. I think moving to none would be a mistake,
though. Would they even drop things like Dynaloader or
ExtUtils::MakeMaker? That would be crazy, IMNSHO. I think there's a
sweet spot here and we are not very far away from it in the number of
things we currently ship.

> On the third hand, having "all modules equal, just some recommended"
> approach woudl make it far easier to drop a module which went
> unmaintained, e.g. CUBE.  But some people may regard this as a
> misfeature.

I would happily push cube out of the nest now :-)

cheers

andrew