Re: What does log_destination = csvlog mean?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: What does log_destination = csvlog mean?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In reading through our documentation, I am unclear how "log_destination
> = csvlog" works.  It seems to me that 'cvslog' is a format-output type,
> not a real destination, or rather it is a special output format for
> stderr.  Is this accurate?  I would like to clarify our documentation.

CSV logs can in fact only be delivered via redirected stderr, i.e.
csvlog requires that logging_collector be on. So in a sense it's both a
format and a destination.

There is a strong technical reason for that, namely that only by doing
that can be be sure that CSV logs won't get lines multiplexed, which
would make loading them back into a table impossible. We invented a
whole (simple) protocol between the backends and the syslogger just to
handle that.

cheers

andrew