Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Floris,

> The website this setup is for has been running various previous versions
> of PostgreSQL with fsync=off since 2005.
> So I still expect it to work.

You've been lucky, that's all.

Our documentation has been clear, back to version 7.0, that turning
fsync=off carries the risk that you will have to recreate your entire
database in the event of unexpected shutdown.  That's not new.

So, the operative question is: was 8.4 shut down with -immediate or
otherwise unexpectedly?  If so, then we don't have a bug.  If 8.4 was
never shut down, then we have some strange behavior which bears looking
into.  And you've found a wierd corner case, which is what we count on
our users for.

Thanks for testing.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Not quite a security hole in internal_in
Сообщение: Re: Not quite a security hole in internal_in