Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> ... but I'm not at all excited about cluttering the
>> long-term project history with a zillion micro-commits.  One of the
>> things I find most annoying about reviewing the current commit history
>> is that Bruce has taken a micro-commit approach to managing the TODO
>> list --- I was seldom so happy as the day that disappeared from CVS,
>> because of the ensuing reduction in noise level.

For better or worse, git also includes a command "git-rebase" that can
collapse such micro-commits into a larger one.

Quoting the git-rebase man page:      A range of commits could also be removed with rebase. If we have the
followingsituation:              E---F---G---H---I---J  topicA      then the command          git-rebase --onto
topicA~5topicA~3 topicA      would result in the removal of commits F and G:              E---H´---I´---J´  topicA

While I wouldn't recommend using this for historical revisionism, I
imagine it could be useful during code-review time when the
micro-commits (from both the patch submitter and patch reviewer)
are interesting.  After the review, the commits could be collapsed
into meaningful-sized-chunks just before they're merged into the
official branches.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up