Re: postgresql source code is worth to read

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: postgresql source code is worth to read
Дата
Список pgsql-general
youngvonlee@gmail.com wrote:
> On 6月4日, 下午1时52分, "youngvon...@gmail.com" <youngvon...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  i want to understand database knowledge about  ipc,store,etc with a
>> project,ie,postgresql. I want to ask postgresql source code is very
>> good, is worth to learn .
>>
> I want to ask if postgresql source code is very well,and worth to
> learn with lots of times?

If I understand what you're asking correctly, yes, postgres source code
is generally quite good quality, clear, and well structured. that said,
its a rather large project with many intricate pieces that all fit
together. It may be difficult to see the layout of the forest when you
are down amongst the roots of the trees...

further, with regards to the overall algorithms and such, many are
unique to postgres, other databases approach the same general problem
(storage, transactions, etc) in quite different ways.

before digging into the source, you'll probably want to familiarize
yourself with
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/internals.html as this
explains many of the algorithms and design decisions that were made.