Re: Managing multiple branches in git

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/03/2009 01:48 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I wondered for a second about symlinking .git from several checkout
>> directories to a common master, but AFAICT .git stores both the
>> "repository" and status information about the current checkout, so
>> that's not gonna work.
> "git clone --reference" stores just a reference and does not copy the
> history.
> It's not going to help in the long run because history accumulating on
> the HEAD will be duplicated in your release branches.  This is not a
> problem if you never merge stuff into them, but I don't know how much
> (recent) history browsing you want to do from your release checkouts.
As the referenced repository would be a mirror from the "official"
repository it should contain most of what is contained in the release
checkouts - so repacking the release checkouts should remove duplicate
objects, right?
The work on the release branches would hopefully get pushed to the
official repository so I don't see a long term problem of duplicate objects.

I haven't really looked at the repack code, so I may be completely off...

Andres

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: pg_migrator status for 8.4