Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?
Дата
Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?  (Sushant Sinha <sushant354@gmail.com>)
Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom, all,

More suggested dispositions:
    *  plperl fails with Perl 5.10 on Windows          o tgl says: no reports of this with pre-8.4 Postgres, but I
bet that's just because no one tried it          o dpage says: I'm rolling back the Windows installers to use
5.8 for now. Would appreciate help from anyone familiar with Perl
internals to try to debug this further!

-- Dunstan, Wheeler, Sabino-Mullaine, 'lil help please?
    * contrib/seg and contrib/cube GiST index support have performance
issues          o proposed (incomplete) patch here

-- If it's just a performance issue, I don't think this issue should
block 8.4.0; it can be fixed in 8.4.1 if necessary, since we'll probably
want to backpatch the fix anyway.
    * possible bug in cover density ranking?

-- From Teodor's response, this is maybe a doc patch and not a code
patch.  Teodor?  Oleg?
    * localeconv encoding issues          o proposed patch here

-- Any reason not to apply patch?
    * BUG #4622: xpath only work in utf-8 server encoding          o tgl says: there's a proposed patch for this, but I
don't

think it fixes it

-- I think this is a doc patch.  Since libxml (as I understand it) only
supports UTF, this is not something we can fix without major engineering
anyway, certainly not before release.  I just think we need big warnings
in the docs in several places.
    * contrib/intarray opclass definition needs updating          o tgl says: done, but there's another problem; see
alsobug

-- This is a serious issue which I'm not sure how we can resolve in the
next couple weeks.  Simply throwing a warning is inadequate (although if
we can't fix it in time, we'll have to do that).  Having the planner
refuse to use the index if '{}' is involved is problematic from a
performance standpoint.  And changing GIN and GiST so they index empty
arrays seems likely to have other side effects.  Ideas, anyone?
    * Path separator consistency on Windows

-- This discussion does not appear to have concluded.  Magnus, Dave?
    * autovacuum can run rebuild_database_list unreasonably often

-- A possible quick workaround would be to put a lower limit of naptime
at 1s.  This would save most people (those with 10 or less database)
from triggering rebuild_database_list too often.  However, given that
it's precisely the people with 100's of databases who would want to
lower naptime to very low levels, this isn't much of a solution.  On the other-other hand, this is enough of a corner
casethat I think

we can put in a documentation warning and put a fix for this in the TODO
list.  Unless Alvaro can get in a patch which prevents
rebuild_database_list from running more often than once per minute this
week?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Сообщение: Re: Managing multiple branches in git