Re: Managing multiple branches in git

От Mark Mielke
Тема Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:17750.1243973382@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Mark Mielke <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:mark@mark.mielke.cc"><mark@mark.mielke.cc></a> writes:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">I'm not following. CVS and SVN both kept such directories "in the

I can't speak to SVN, but that is *not* how CVS does it.  There's a
small CVS/ directory, but the repository (with all the ,v files)
is somewhere else.  In particular I can have N different checked-out
Iused CVS. CVS keeps the metadata describing what you have, but not the 'pristine copy' that SVN keeps.<br /><br
/><blockquotecite="mid:17750.1243973382@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><blockquote type="cite"><pre wrap="">I just don't
understandwhy you care. If the CVS directories didn't bug

(1) size (ok, not a showstopper)
(2) potential for error

Blowing away your working directory shouldn't result in loss of your
shouldn'tresult in loss of your entire project history'?<br /><br /> Yes, if that's the only copy you have - this is
true.But, you would normally have at least one copy, and everybody else will also have a copy. Linus has joked about
notneeding backups, since he can recover his entire project history from places all over the Internet.<br /><br /> As a
"forexample", you could have a local repo that you publish from. Your work spaces could be from that local repo. Others
pullfrom your local repo.<br /><br /> For a small project I have, I keep the SVN / centralized model. People upload
theirchanges with 'git push', and pick up updates with 'git pull' ('cvs update'). Whatever works best for you - but
it'sall available. Just because your workspace happens to have a copy of your entire project history doesn't
necessarilymean that blowing away your working directory results in loss of your entire project history. Think multiple
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>

Сообщение: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Сообщение: Re: Managing multiple branches in git