Re: Suggested TODO: allow ALTERing of typemods without heap/index rebuild

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Suggested TODO: allow ALTERing of typemods without heap/index rebuild
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff,

> I observe that the casts (VARCHAR ->  TEXT and TEXT ->  VARCHAR) are
> marked WITHOUT FUNCTION. If that's the case, can't we use that to say
> that no heap rebuild is required? Perhaps we'll need to combine this
> with the typmod checks to see if we need to check the heap.

yeah, you're right .. that would give us a short list of conversions
which don't require a rewrite.    However, as Tom points out, that
doesn't mean that they might not need a reindex (as well as OID, there's
also XML).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions
Сообщение: Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions