Re: Help with join syntax sought

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: Help with join syntax sought
Дата
Список pgsql-general
James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 17:02, Andy Colson wrote:
>
>> so: select max(name), type from food group by type
>> works cuz we only get one name (the max name) back for each type.
>>
>> or: select name, type from food group by type, name
>> which in our example is kinda pointless, but still, give us the
>> distinct
>> items for "type, name".
>
> Thanks.  I think I am beginning to see this.  So, if there are more
> than one type for a given currency code and I do not select and
> group by type then the having count(whatever) = 1 means that these
> rows are not selected either.  Is that correct?

I'm not familiar with your data, and I didn't study your sql very hard.

I'm not sure what this will do:

HAVING
         COUNT(fxr.currency_code_quote)  = 1

The only time I have ever used HAVING is like:

select name from something group by name having count(*) > 1

to find duplicate name's.

you're group by is on 5 fields, but the count is only on one.... so...

If a count is in the select part (like select count(name) from stuff)
it only counts when name is not null... so maybe that having is saying
count where currency_code_quote is not null and there is only one record
   per group... I dunno.

-Andy