Re: INTERVAL data type and libpq - what format?

От Sebastien FLAESCH
Тема Re: INTERVAL data type and libpq - what format?
Дата
Re: INTERVAL data type and libpq - what format?  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Yes, good point.

I realize now that I would have expected libpq to give me a way to specify
the exact decoration or precision of INTERVAL parameters...

As you can do with ODBC's SQLBindParameter(), where you specify the C type,
SQL type, precision/scale or length ...
I believe this is important when it comes to data type conversion (for ex,
when you want to insert a numeric/date/time into a char or the other way).
=> sort of cast, actually...

I known libpq functions like PQexecParams() or PQexecPrepared() have a
paramFormats[] parameter to specify if the buffer will hold a string
or the binary representation of the value... but that would not help
much (I don't want to deal with internal structures!).

I can manage to bind only basic INTERVAL values for all sort of INTERVAL
columns, no problem...
I did further tests using the "PnnnYnnnM ..." ISO format and that is
working much better.

However I would expect at least 2 classes of INTERVALs to be specified
in libpq parameters:

    INTERVAL YEAR TO MONTH
    INTERVAL DAY TO SECOND(n)

Also: I still have the overflow issue with types like INTERVAL SECOND.
=> discussed in another thread "INTERVAL SECOND limited to 59 seconds?"

Thanks a lot!
Seb